IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Cathedral House & Clergy House telephone are currently down. We currently have a temporary number of 07493 108096, however, this phone number is for incoming and outgoing calls ONLY. Text and voicemail messages will NOT be responded to. For any enquiries, please kindly contact us at, including a contact number. Apologies for any inconvenience.


“…a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one. This is a great mystery, and I mean in reference to Christ and the Church” Ephesians 5:31-32

“The Sacrament of Matrimony signifies the union of Christ and the Church. It gives spouses the grace to love each other with the love with which Christ has loved his Church; the grace of the sacrament thus perfects the human love of the spouses, strengthens their indissoluble unity, and sanctifies them on the way to eternal life”

Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1661

Who can get married at Brentwood Cathedral?

You must be free to marry.

  • Those in irregular marital situations (e.g. civil divorce) must approach the parish priest in the first instance
  • At least one partner must be a baptised Catholic and be resident in the Cathedral parish.
  • Please make sure that you both register as parishioners
  • If you are not resident in the parish but there is a very strong link to the parish, for example, you were raised in the parish and your parents are resident here.
  • Please be aware that having attended one of the schools in the parish would not be considered as a strong link.

Given the numbers of weddings at Brentwood Cathedral, we require at least six months notice of marriage in order to allow sufficient time for the preparation of couples and to complete the civil and religious paperwork. This also applies to couples who are getting married abroad.

To arrange a meeting with the Cathedral Dean please contact the parish office.

Who can get married at Brentwood Cathedral?

Couples spend a great deal of time preparing for their wedding day: what they will wear, who they will invite, reception venues and so on. In the same way, it is important that you fully understand the meaning of Christian marriage and have given proper time to reflect on it. What foundations will you build your married life on?

As you are freely asking to get married in the Church and you will make sacred vows before God, the Church now asks you to prepare for the sacrament of matrimony or Christian marriage.


If you are not already doing so, by coming as a couple to Sunday Mass. In this way, you are bringing your relationship to God and asking him to deepen and strengthen it. At the same time, you show that your request to receive the sacrament of matrimony is a serious one.

By attending our marriage preparation sessions.

Session 1 Saturday 17th June 9.30 -11.00 a.m. in the Cathedral parish hall: What is the meaning of holy matrimony?

Session 2 Saturday 24th June 9.30 – 11.00 a.m. in the Cathedral : What happens at a wedding?

Please contact the parish office to book onto this preparation course. 

Please book on to these sessions by contacting the parish office.

Other useful information

For Catholics, a currently-dated baptismal certificate from the church where you were baptised. For christened non-Catholics, a copy of your certifcate

A statutory declaration of freedom to marry for each party, notarised by a Commissioner for Oaths (Solicitor). The priest or deacon celebrating your wedding will supply you with a statutory declaration form.

From your local Registry Office: Couples will need to give notice of their marriage to the local Register Office where they live. They must make sure that they do this in very good time. Once notice is given, they will be given a Marriage Schedule in advance of the wedding. This must be given to the priest or deacon as soon as the couple receive it. This can be done either in person or by posting it through the door of Clergy House in a clearly marked envelope.

A £50 cheque, made payable to “Brentwood Cathedral Parish”, for marriage paperwork that will involve the Chancery of the diocese, such as a marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic Christian, or a non-baptised person, or a marriage ceremony outside the diocese. This is to cover administration costs for the Diocese of Brentwood.

Please choose one or two readers who will read your scripture choices with confidence, sincerity, and clarity.

All readings must be from the Bible.

Here is a selection of possible texts for you to consider: Scripture readings for Catholic Weddings

Please note that only SACRED MUSIC can be used at weddings. There are no facilities to play recorded or downloaded music.
You will have to consider choosing:

An organ bridal march

Two or three hymns that your family and friends will recognise and sing

Possibly a solo choral piece to be sung by a member of the Cathedral choir during the signing of the marriage schedule


In order to maintain the high standard of music in the Cathedral parish, the Cathedral Music Department normally provides the organist and any soloist or singers requested for a wedding.

The Cathedral Music Department must be informed of musical choices at least two months before your wedding day.

For any further information or advice about music please contact the Master of Music, Andrew Wright, by email

The flower arrangements must be from our dedicated florist. Roisin Cassels and her team are responsible for all flower arrangements in the church. You may ring her on 07845 120310. The fee for flower arrangement is £60 and the amount you wish to spend on flowers is up to you.

The use of confetti of any kind is not permitted either inside or outside the church.

You can employ any photographers, but they will only be allowed to stand at designated places in the Cathedral. They must remain in one position during the wedding itself as it can be very distracting for the couple, the priest and the congregation if photographers are moving around. Please make your photographer(s) aware of this.

  • The use of videographers is permitted with the same conditions as photographers.
  • After the marriage ceremony, you are free to take photos outside and inside the Cathedral.
  • The use of drones is totally prohibited.

Summary of fees

Marriage Tribunal paperwork

£50 to cover diocesan administrative costs

Getting Married Abroad

£50 for marriage paperwork if getting married abroad


Fee for the registrar is £50


Organist £180; Soloist £110, additional singers £25 each


Flower arrangement costs £60 and the amount you wish to spend on flowers is up to you.

Donation to Priest or Deacon

A suggested donation would be £300.00

Please pay either by

Account Name:

Brentwood Cathedral

Sort Code:


Account number:

30 21 74 92